It’s not easy when you are limited by your food choices because you can’t eat certain things, but thanks to places like Gluten Free Nation, those with Celiac Disease or those that have cut gluten out of their diet have a place to go and get fresh baked bread, muffins, cookies, cakes and all other kinds of gluten free goodies. If you have ever tried gluten free baked goods, then you know that in general, they aren’t very good. Although they have come a long way, they can still be hard as rock and sit like lumps in your stomach. But, gluten free eaters, it’s time to rejoice, because we have the 6 best things about Gluten Free Nation and why you must shop there for all your gluten free needs.
The 6 Best Things About Gluten Free Nation
1. Randi Markowitz is the owner. Not only is she from our lovely Houston Jewish Community, she is considered the Gluten Free Guru. Having Celiac Disease, she was determined to make baked goods that tasted good and were light, and she has perfected the recipe! Her breads, muffins, cookies, pie crusts and cakes can all be bought at her store. Not only that, she is so knowledgeable about gluten free facts. She is helpful and kind and is always willing to lend a hand in her store.
2. The Baked Bread. We’ve now mentioned this a couple of times, and there is a reason for this! Most gluten free bread can be used as a doorstop. It is just that dense. But, the fresh baked bread that you get at Gluten Free Nation is as light as Wonder Bread, but without the stuff that makes you sick if you have Celiac disease. It comes in a 21 oz. loaf that is pre-cut, just like what you find in the grocery store and although the price is a bit higher, you have to remember that it is made fresh and in small batches. The bread also comes in a millet flour and a whole grain, and each is just as light as the last.
3. Made to order birthday cakes and wedding cakes. What do you do for your child who has a gluten intolerance and has a birthday? Yes, you can try to make them a cake, or find a cake that is gluten free, but once again, you run into a cake that might not taste (or look) that good. We have ordered birthday cakes from Gluten Free Nation before and not only are they yummy, but they are cute and the kids didn’t know the difference and neither did the adults! Everyone was happy, and most of all, the birthday child didn’t get sick from the gluten. Win-Win!!
4. Online shopping. We don’t know about you, but between work and kids and life, it’s tough to sometimes make it out to the store, so we love that we can shop online at Gluten Free Nation. We can have our gluten free staples delivered to our house, along with English muffins, pies, cookies and breads. This cuts out precious time that we need for other things and we thank Randi Markowitz for having that very easy tool on her website.
5. The storefront. Have you noticed how the grocery stores are getting bigger and bigger? You have to wander slowly up and down the aisles or squint from one end of the aisle to the other to read the hanging labels to see what’s on what aisle to find what you are looking for. Sometimes it can take as much time to hunt down the 6′ of gluten free dry goods and the 2′ of gluten free frozen foods that the grocery store carries than it does to buy them. Gluten Free Nation is located within a strip center that is off the Katy Freeway. The entire store is dedicated to Gluten Free Goodness. You don’t have to look at labels, read for ingredients (unless that’s your thing) or hunt for something. If Randi doesn’t carry it, she will always offer to look for it and order it for you if she can.
6. The Grocery Stores. Seems like we just said that was NOT the place to go, but did you know that if you can’t make it to the storefront and you don’t want to shop online that you can purchase Gluten Free Nation baked goods at HEB, Central Market, Krogers, Erma’s and Whole Foods? So, if you are going to wander around one of the big ones, choose one of those and pick up a loaf of Gluten Free Nation Dairy Free Millet Sandwich Bread for J-Vibe Online Magazine while you’re there will you? Thanks!
You can find Gluten Free Nation at:
1014 Wirt Rd.
Houston, Texas 77055