What can be better than a crispy buttery waffle with crisp fried wings sitting on top? For us, not much. Not so long ago, we didn’t understand the combination of waffles and wings, until we had them ourselves, and now we can’t get enough of them. After our first taste, we made it our mission to find the best waffles and wings in Houston. We scoured menus for waffles and wings, we ate and ate and ate. And, when we couldn’t eat one more, we consulted with our taste buds and came up with Just Vibe Houston’s best waffles and wings in Houston.
The Story of Waffles and Wings
Eating is wonderful, but knowing the history behind what you are eating makes the experience even more enjoyable, and we are all about the story, so we dug into some research to find out the story behind waffles and wings. This phenomenon began with pulled chicken and gravy served on top of waffles by the Pennsylvania Dutch, but it was 1938 when the dish we eat today with a crispy chicken sitting on top of a crispy waffle, came to be.
It was the Harlem Renaissance and Joseph T. Wells, owner of Wells Supper Club on Adam Clayton Powell Boulevard, had leftover fried chicken from his dinner service, and instead of letting it go to waste, he would serve it up to his late night and early morning Jazz musicians and customers on top of crispy waffles. The combination of savory and sweet was an instant hit, and the version of waffles and wings we eat today was born.
The Best Waffles and Wings in Houston
[vsw id=”F-2gO3x2CZE” source=”youtube” width=”600″ height=”450″ autoplay=”no”]
- The Breakfast Klub – Marcus Davis is famous for his signature dish of waffles and wings, and for good reason. Tasty, delicious, mouthwatering and down home feel good food. 3711 Travis Street at Alabama Houston, TX 77002.
- Shade – Not what you would typically expect from this Heights restaurant, but trust us, they are downright delicious. 250 West 19th St, Houston TX 77008.
- Tout Suite – Holy cow, these waffles and wings are delicious. They have some added heat and the chicken is fried to perfection. The portions are large, so go hungry. 2001 Commerce Houston, Texas 77002.
- Grace’s – Say grace every time you eat the food at Grace’s, but since they added brunch, it gives an extra reason to head over there, and the waffles and wings are fantastic. 3111 Kirby Dr Houston, TX 77098.
- Beaucoup Bar & Grill – Offering up Louisiana style cooking, these waffles and wings are so delicious and melt in your mouth. Unfortunately, if you didn’t get to enjoy them, they are now CLOSED.
- Adair Kitchen – Waffles and wings for breakfast or dinner, Adair Kitchen serves them up with powdered sugar sprinkled on top, which adds a subtle sweetness to the chicken, which is tender moist and juicy. 5161 San Felipe, Suite 390 Houston, TX 77056.
- Skeeters – This is another place you wouldn’t expect to find waffles and wings, but we like the Texas shape of the waffles and the chicken, although in strips is still mighty tasty. 5529 Weslayan St Houston, TX 77005.
- 59 Diner – Not just for diner fare, 59 Diner makes great waffles and wings and they serve theirs with gravy on the side, a nice change of pace. 59 Diner has also shut its doors at all its locations!
We always find it sad when restaurants we enjoy have closed their doors, but that doesn’t mean we still can’t give them a shout out. Tell us where you think are the best waffles and wings in the city in the comments and please share our video!